Dr Khoza: The Durban-based Dermatologist Empowering People To Face The Day With Confidence
Specialist Dermatologist - Durban Skin Doctor
Dr Nokubonga Khoza is a Durban based Specialist Dermatologist in private practice specializing simply in healthy looking skin, hair and nails. Born and bred in Durban, Dr Khoza graduated from the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine in 2003 and obtained her Fellowship from the College of Dermatologists of South Africa in 2011.
She has had the pleasure of serving the Durban community, through her internship and community service at Prince Mshiyeni Memorial Hospital as well as working in Kwa-Dabeka Clinic and St Marys Hospital. Throughout her dermatology training, Dr Khoza has worked extensively in all major Durban tertiary and district hospitals.
An honorary Consultant and Lecturer at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, Dr Khoza is committed to contributing to the field of dermatology through teaching the nursing community, medical students and dermatology registrars. Serving as a liaison officer for the Faculty’s Exchange Program, she has had the opportunity of meeting and exchanging ideas with many young and leading international experts within the discipline.
Dr Khoza established South Africa's first Immunobullous Disease clinic at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Hospital and currently runs this on a regular basis. She has published articles in peer-review journals as well as contributed chapters in dermatology textbooks on permanent hairloss, melasma, pigmentation, skin lighteners, skin infections and autoimmune bullous disease.
She travels extensively attending international conferences and meetings so as to bring the latest and scientifically proven global trends and innovations to her Durban patients.
She is an Executive Committee member of the Dermatology Society of South Africa (DSSA) and inaugural Secretary of the African Women’s Dermatologic Society. A past EXCO member of South African Society of Dermatologic Surgery (SASDS) and inaugural advisory committee member of the South African Epidermolysis Bullosa Interest Group (SAEBIG)
She is currently affiliated to and a member of the following societies:
- African Women's Dermatologic Society (AWDS). Inaugural Secretary 2015 - date
- Dermatology Society of South Africa (DSSA). EXCO member 2017 – date
- South African Society of Dermatologic Surgery (SASDS). EXCO member 2016 - 2018
- South African Epidermolysis Bullosa Interest Group (SAEBIG) , Inaugural exco member 2016 – date
- Dermatology for Africa 2018, combined 2nd African Society of Dermatology and Venereal Diseases(ASDV), DSSA and SASDS. Local organising committee (LOC) member
- AWDS Hair and Hair Disorders Symposium 2018. Local organising Committee and speaker.
- SASDS cosmetic and aesthetics symposium, 2017, 2018. LOC and speaker
- Anti-Skin Bleaching Campaign, 2016. Organising Committee.
- 2nd Continental Congress of Dermatology (ISD), 2012. Local Organising Committee
- DSSA Congress 2012. Local Organising Committee
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD). International faculty member
- Women’s Dermatologic Society (WDS). Member
- Skin of Colour Society (SOCS). Member
Awards and accolades:
- Janssen - Foundation Research Award Medal from the College of Medicine of South Africa (CMSA). Part 1 Examination – Cum Laude). Awarded to graduate with outstanding academic excellence.
- She was the inaugural recipient of "L’Oréal African Hair and Skin Research Grant' in the African continent
- UKZN CHS Masters and Doctoral Scholarship,2014
- The International Society of Dermatology Global Scholarship Award, 2013
- African Women’s Dermatologic Society (AWDS) 2017. Certificate of Appreciation for her commitment and contribution to dermatology.
- NRMSM – Consultant of the month
Dr Khoza’s Passion
Dr Khoza, finds satisfaction and a sense of pride servicing the Durban community. She gives off her time freely educating the public on the commonest skin conditions seen within the community and how to address these. She believes knowledge is power and is key in making safe and healthy choices when it comes to skin health. Dr Khoza is frequently sought-after as a skincare and beauty expert, regularly contributing to major media outlets and consulting for several blue-chip companies.
She has been featured in Ilanga Newspaper, Isolezwe, Get-IT Magazine, New Age.
A regular voice and skin talk co-host in Vuma FM, Gagasi FM, UKhoziFM, Metro FM, SAFM, InandaFM, SABC2 – Bonitas Show.
Dr Khoza strongly believes in a culturally sensitive approach when treating skin problems. Her commitment to voluntary work, education, empowerment, communication and kindness has shaped her holistic approach to skin care.